I like Kuih Kosui to be steamed in a cake pan, then cut into pieces and coated with coconut. To me, if this kuih is steamed in tiny cups, then it would be 'Kuih Lompang'. While kuih lompang can come in other flavors like pandan or plain but of different colors, Kuih Kosui is not. It has to be made with 'gula melaka/palm sugar and caramelized sugar, so therefore it is brown.
250 g gula Melaka about 1 big piece
1 tbsp santan powder/coconut milk powder
2 pandan leaves, cut into small pieces
50 g sugar + 3 tbsp water
100g tapioca flour
160g rice flour
20g glutinous rice flour
1 tsp alkaline water(kan sui)
1/2 freshly grated coconut
1/2 tsp salt
1. Put sugar and water to caramelize. Add in the 500 ml water as soon as the sugar turned brown. Then add in the rest of the ingredients in (A ) and bring it to a boil to dissolve the gula melaka. . Strain for any lumps and leave aside to cool.
2. Mix everything in (B) together till a smooth batter is formed. Add in the gula melaka syrup and cook over low heat or in the microwave till the batter is slightly thickened. Stirring constantly.
3. Steam the freshly grated coconut for 5 minutes. Leave it aside for use later.
Add salt before using.
4. Pour batter into a greased square cake pan. Steam over boiling hot water for about 40 minutes.
5. Cool the Kuih Kosui before you cut into pieces .
6. Coat them with the steamed coconut and serve.