Foodie

Monday, June 15, 2009

Cucumber Kimchi





I have just borrowed 'Eating Korean' by Cecilia Hae-Jin Lee as i wanted to read about Korean culture so that i can pass them to my grandchildren and incidently on the same day, i received this email from Michael Geary-
"Hi Lily,
I hope all is well. I wanted to briefly share with you a new interview with Korean chef and cookbook writer, Cecilia Hae-Jin Lee, being featured on
Guideposts.com. Lee discusses her parents, her immigration to America, and what lead her to writing a cookbook. The interview is available here, and I thought you and your readers might find what Lee has to say really interesting.
Let me know if you have any questions or if you're able to post about the video.
Thanks so much for your time,
Mike"
Whenever i make Cabbage Kimchi, i will make more Kimchi Sauce so that i can make Cucumber Kimchi. Cucumber Kimchi is the favorite in our household, there is no chance for fermention as they will be gone as soon as they served.


Ingredients:
1/4 cup salt
10 Asian pickling cucumbers
3 tbsp Kimchi Sauce
1 tsp sugar
Method:
Mix salt with 1 cup warm water and stir to dissolve.
Wash and slit cucumbers into 4 but do not cut through at one end.
Put in a large mixing bowl, add the salt solution and enough water to cover the cucumbers.
Soak cucumbers in salt water for 30 minutes.
Remove cucumbers, rince and drain dry.
Using your fingers, separate the cucumber quarters and stuff a teaspoon of kimchi sauce into the cucumber.
Press stuffed cucumbers into clean jar, pressing cucumbers down firmly into jars.
Stir 1 teaspoon sugar with 1/3 cup water until sugar dissolves, add into the cucumbers.
Let sit 1 day before serving.
Refrigerate after opening.

Serves

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lily,

I make it with head cabbage shredded. Great on hamburgers and hotdogs. In Hawaii they make it with celery also.

Lisa.

Little Corner of Mine said...

This, I don't know how to appreciate. Any kind of veggie kimchi is so so to me. :P I like our Malaysian acar more. LOL!

Soma Jeanne Watson said...

I've eaten this several times at my Korean friends home. I like the traditional cabbage kimchi but this one is much better!

Anonymous said...

Hi really enjoy ur blog. i made tis yesterday n opened it today but the cucumber gives out a lot of water which is a little slimmy. may i know where i have gone wrong? thanks

Lynn

Unknown said...

lynn

these are some of my guesses, one is the type of cucumber used, try and use the type of cucumber which has not so much seeds, if you wish to pickle larger cucumber which has a lot more seeds, remove them. Perhaps you have not salted enough of which moisture will be removed from the cucumber.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...