Foodie

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Deep-fried Stuffed Chicken Wings
















When i visited my daughter before i moved here, we had lunch and she ordered this Stuffed Chicken Wings. She reminded me about this dish as she has not eaten this since the Vietnamese restaurant in downtown Denver went out of business. I guess that this dish would be Thai, if the stuffing is different but i made my stuffing which is quite similar to the Vietnamese Egg Rolls, so should my version be Vietnamese??. Thai or Vietnamese, this dish is so finger-licking good.


Ingredients:

8 chicken wings
Stuffing:
8 oz minced pork
2 tbsp fish sauce
2 spring onions (scallions), finely chopped
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 small bundle 'tang hoon'/mung bean vermicelli - soaked and cut into 1 inch
1 tbsp chopped carrot
2 tbsp 'wood ear mushroom'/mook yee - soaked and chopped fine
2 dried shitake mushrooms - soaked and chopped fine
1 egg yolk
1 tbsp sesame oil
rice flour or all-purpose flour for coating
oil for frying

Method:
Mix all the stuffing ingredients together and leave in the fridge for 30 minutes.

Cut the chicken wings in two pieces and save the top joint of the chicken for another dish. For this recipe you need just the middle joint and the wing tip.
With a small, pointed knife remove bones from mid-joint. Run the knife around the top of each bone, push the flesh down to expose the bone and carefully twist each bone out.

Fill each chicken wing with mixture but do not overfill or they will burst when steamed. Place the wings on heatproof plates and steam over boiling water for about 7 minutes or until cooked. Leave to cool.
Roll in rice flour or wheat flour and dust off excess. Heat oil in a wok and deep-fry the wings until they are golden brown.
Drain on paper towels and serve with a dipping sauce of choice.




Serves

5 comments:

Mary Bergfeld said...

These look just delicious. They look so crisp and brown that I want to grab one from the screen.

Claire said...

Hmm...love Thai angel wings!

Cindy Khor said...

ah, this reminds me of the thai restaurant that i used to work in, and i miss them wings. thanks for the recipe, i'm going to make them this weekend. wish my luck with the deboning.

Tricia said...

This is one of my favorite appetizer to order whenever I eat out at my Favorite Thai Restaurant "Sala Thai".

Hope I can make this ... especially deboning part!

Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Pam Silvestri said...

Hi,
I have a question about reprinting this recipe. Would you mind reaching out to me soon via email?
Thank you.
Pam.
silvestri@siadvance.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...