Foodie

Monday, June 29, 2009

Steamed Salted Fish With Pork




This dish is one of many homestyle recipes in the Cantonese repertoire. I remember my mom hand chopping the pork with a chinese cleaver to make this dish or any steamed pork. The hand chopping creates a more al-dente texture and it is worth the effort. However, this dish is still as delicious if made with ground pork. The salted fish of choise is the soft type as the hard type does not marry or blend well.

Ingredients:

8 ozs of ground/minced or hand chopped pork
2 tbsp of soya sauce
1 tsp of sugar
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tbsp of tapioca flour
a pinch of msg(optional)
1 tbsp of sesame
1 piece "mui heong' salted fishoil
2 tbsp of julienned ginger

Method:
Mix pork with all the seasonings, then place the salted fish on top and spread the julienned ginger on top of prepared dish.
Steam until cooked in a steamer or put on top of the rice before rice cooker's function turns to 'keep warm'.
Enjoy with white rice.


Serves

6 comments:

Mary Bergfeld said...

I'll have to ask my Asian grocer to get some salted fish oil for me, but I plan to give this a try. Have a wonderful day....Mary

Christelle said...

Ah very interesting recipe, I'm discovering there! :) Thanks for sharing :)

The Bakerwoman said...

Yummy Lily, I like using salted Ikan Kurau fish.

J.C. said...

Dear Lily, this is one of my favourite dishes! Simple and yet very appetising! I always eat another extra bowl of rice whenever I serve this dish!

hoangtam/tt said...

one of my all time favorite comfort food. When my mom makes it, she sneaks in a few slices of pork belly....after steaming for a while the fat melts in your mouth carrying with it the amazing flavors...yum!

Unknown said...

tt

thank you, bet you the pork belly will be as you described = melts in your month.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...