Foodie

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Ground Pork With Salted Eggs




This is a traditional home-style dish. mostly passed on within families, and my paternal hokkien grandma used to serve this style which is very firm unlke the soft version. Trust me, it is VERY good as it is intentionally made to taste salty, so it goes well with white rice. Salted eggs are made with duck eggs but i will make with chicken eggs which are less expensive - there are 2 ways to make Homemade Salted eggs, i prefer this method better - Homemade Salted Eggs II.
Ingredients:

2 salted duck eggs, separated
1 pounds ground pork
2 eggs
1 tbsp soya sauce
1 tsp shaoxing wine
1/2 tsp white sugar
1 tsp white pepper
2 tbsp garlic fragrant oil
1 tsp sesame oil

Method:

Separate the white of the salted egg from the yolk. Divide the yolk into four pieces and mix the whites to the eggs. Beat the eggs lightly.
Mix in the ground pork and the seasonings. Lastly arrange the salted egg-yolks on top.
Drizzle with garlic fragrant oil and put to steam on low-medium heat until cooked.
Remove from steamer and drizzle with sesame oil.
Serve hot.

Serves

12 comments:

Claire said...

I love this also with the salted eggs. My husband likes it with the salted fish (hom yu)

Pete said...

My kids love this dish, same like their Ah Ma always prepare for them!

shaz said...

Such comfort food Lily! My mum (she's Hokkien) used to make this but I don't remember the salted egg bit, she just used eggs and pork. We called it the salty custard pork. :)

Christelle said...

Ah excellent! I've always wondered how I could use salty eggs! Thanks! :)

Little Corner of Mine said...

Lovely! Can use microwave to cook this dish or not?

Ube said...

Looks very doable and delicious with steamed rice. Now I know another dish to use my spare salted eggs which I learned making from you. I like the dry cure method though. I am glad you featured both ways in making salted eggs. Thank you again.

Unknown said...

little corner of mine

yes, you can.

place the prepared dish over a bigger dish of water and cover the bigger dish to catch the steam. This way, might prevent the eggs getting rubbery.

you can put the prepared dish on the rice just before the rice cooker turns to warm.

Anonymous said...

My family is Jungsanese and we always enjoyed homestyle cooking. This recipe bring memories when I was a child eating it. Mom made own saltly eggs and pickel cabbage and dried lemons. Even dried press duck.

Judy

Cookie said...

Hi Aunty Lily,

This is one of my comfort food.

When I was down with chicken pox, mum steamed this minced pork (less egg which was a taboo) for my 2 meals every day. In those 2 weeks I never grew sick of it, and really, I can eat this everyday for the rest of my life!

cheers
cookie

felicakes said...

Thank you for posting Lily! My mom use to cook this dish for us when we were younger and I loved it. I can just eat this with rice and call it a meal. I will try to make this at home now.

Anonymous said...

Does this recipe goes well with ground chicken, ground beef or even ground turkey.

Anonymous said...

Hi Lily

Waited 25 days for this Homemade Salted EggII to cook. Well, finally I tried the salted eggs on this recipe earlier today. I use ground chicken instead of pork. It turns out not bad. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...