Foodie

Saturday, January 08, 2011

Squirrel Fish (松鼠鱖魚)




The most important date in the lunar calendar is Chinese New Year - it’s a traditional time for feasting with family and friends that dates back thousands of years


Fish has symbolic significance to the chinese because the Chinese word for fish, yu, sounds like the word for riches or abundance, and it is believed that eating fish will help your wishes come true in the year to come. So, by cooking this fish dish - The Squirrel Fish" and serving it on Chinese New Year's Eve Dinner. I hope that all your wishes will come true in the Rabbit Year. The fish is never eaten completely since leaving some behind hints at the family's ability to 'always have enough'.


The recipe is HERE

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Aunt Lily,

That looks really good. I have to tell you, the only time I can tell it is approaching a Chinese festival celebration is when I read your blog, understandably since I do not read Chinese at all. It keeps my mum back in Malaysia wondering how I managed to keep up with all the festivals even though I live in Boston. Happy Chinese New Year to you and your family. As usual, it is time to make your bak kwa and Chinese New Year's cookies. Thank you so much for sharing all your recipes unselfishly.

Love,

Reese

Unknown said...

reese

happy chinese new year to you too and hi to your mom.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...