Foodie

Monday, February 22, 2010

KUIH BOM KELEDEK/Sweet Potato Bombs

Kuih Bom Keledek translated from Malay to English is Sweet Potato Bombs.  These would one of the items prohibited to be hand-carried on to a plane,cos of it's namesake.  They are so called for it's round shape and no relation to any explosives but they do explode a mouthful of flavors when bitten into.  Any variety of sweet potatoes/yams can be used and i like the orange colored yams as they give a golden look to the balls.




Ingredients:

Filling:

1 cup grated coconut
1/4 cup or more dark brown sugar(adjust sweetness to your liking) - cook it with 1/4 cup water until sugar dissolves.
2 tbsp glutinous rice (for thickening) -dilute with 1 tbsp water
Pandan leaves(optional)

For the dough

2 1/2 - 3 cups of sweet potatoes/yams - mashed(Bake or microwave to cook them, do not boil unless using yellow or purple sweet potatoes)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup glutinous rice flour
1 cup water plus a pinch of salt
sesame seeds
Vegetable oil for frying

Method:

To cook the filling:

Mix grated coconut, sugar solution and pandan leaves(if using) and cook over the stovetop or in the microwave until well combined and thickened slightly.

Remove the pandan leaves and add in the glutinous rice solution and mix well.  Cook further until the glutinous rice is totally cooked and thickened.  Taste and adjust sweetness.

Cool before using.


To make the dough:

Mix the all-purpose flour and the glutinous rice flour together with the mashed sweet potatoes.

Add in water a little at a time until a dough forms.  Knead until it is smooth.

Divide dough into 1 inch balls.

Flatten a ball and fill with 1 tsp of coconut filling, bring the edges together and seal well.

Repeat until all the balls are done.

Heat vegetable oil to 350f.

While oil is heating, drop one filled ball at a time in a bowl of water, then roll it with sesame seeds.  Continue this procedure until all filled balls are done.

Deep-fry the balls until golden brown.  Do not crowd otherwise the balls will be soggy.

Serve balls slightly warm or at room temperature.
Serves

10 comments:

hungryc said...

I love these keledek balls, but I have never thought of making them. Your recipe makes it seem easy. I might just buy keledek from the market this sunday and surprise my family - no one expects homemade kuih anymore.

Tuty said...

Lily, I just love your culinary sense of humor.

I heard that to fry these types of thing especially the sesame seeds balls (the ones with the mung bean paste filling), I have to start with barely warm oil.. then slowly increase the heat once the balls are floating. Is this the same method? Can you enlighten me please?

Thank you.

Crazy Cake Lady said...

That looks super-yummy. I definitely need to try this over Chinese New Years :)

Unknown said...

tuty

this bomb will not expand as the jin dui. the frying is just to give a crispy outside. jin dui needs low heat and then a bit of pressing on the balls when it floats so that it will triple in size.

Anonymous said...

These snacks looked so delectable! :)

Ube said...

Looking at them, they remind me of the Sesame Balls that I get from Chinese Deli shops except the filling is sweetened mung beans. I have to limit myself to two balls only as I can finish the whole container in one sitting with piping hot jasmine tea. Again, homemade goodies still talk to me as I know what went in there not to mention the lots of labor of love!

syrie said...

I adore these little bombs! I use to eat them as a little girl in Bangkok. Great texture!

Cristy said...

wow, these look tasty. i wish sweet potatoes were used in more dishes like this in the u.s. the north carolina sweet potato commission is having a bloggers' recipe contest, you should consider entering! www.ncsweetpotatoes.com

Unknown said...

cristy

thanks, i was invited to submit a recipe and i think i will with this sweet potato boms

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for sharing! I just found your blog today and I am so EXCITED!!! So many beautiful recipes onhere that I cannot wait to try!
Samantha

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...