Foodie

Thursday, November 06, 2008

Sore Throat Cure


I have my daughter, Sharon to thank for forwarding this article to me as soon as she heard that i am down with a cold. It is flu season here and everyone is advised to get the flu shots - so lined up with the rest of the population to get a jab. It is the 'herd mentality' in me that says, if everyone is having a jab, i better have one. After reading the article below and 'What most doctors won't tell you about colds and flus', i would like to share them with all my readers. No co-pay and prescriptions - just what you have in the pantry and the tap in your kitchen sink.



Ingredients:


Salt


Warm Water



Method:




How to Prevent a Sore Throat from Progressing to a Cold
By Dr. Ben Kim on March 09, 2008



Before I share a great little tip on how to stop a sore throat from progressing into a week-long cold, please know that periodically experiencing a cold or the flu can actually be helpful to your health. If you have no idea why this is, please view the following popular article that I wrote on this topic:
What Most Doctors Won't Tell You About Colds and Flus



You just won't get this information on why colds and flus can help you stay healthy over the long run from medical textbooks and mainstream media - please consider sharing it with family and friends.



Although experiencing a cold or the flu once in a while can help rid your body of your weakest cells, I'm willing to bet that there are times when you would really prefer to delay such a period of cleansing and malaise.



Here's how you can stand a good chance of preventing a cold from developing:



As soon as you experience that sore, tickly feeling in your throat that precedes a full-blown cold, gargle with warm salt water.



And when I say gargle, I mean really gargle; take in a mouthful of warm salt water, look up at the ceiling, and gargle aggressively. You may want to tap at your throat (the Adam's apple region) with your fingers while you gargle to encourage the warm salt water to trickle deeply into your throat.



Gargle like this several times with a glass of warm salt water, and repeat as often as possible throughout the day.



Warm salt water can remove viruses from the tonsils and adenoids that line the back of your throat region. Viruses that cause colds and flus typically get caught by your tonsils and adenoids before they spread through your body. Your tonsils and adenoids are important parts of your immune system because they are located near the entrance of your breathing passages, and they serve as a first line of defense against undesirable airborne microorganisms and substances.
This, by the way, is why it is best not to remove tonsils and adenoids from your throat region. Chronic swelling of tonsils and adenoids is best addressed by reducing sugar intake, adopting a minimally processed diet that is rich in fresh plant foods, and supporting immune system health by getting plenty of rest, exercise, and exposure to sunlight and fresh air.



Cold salt water may also help to remove viruses from your tonsils and adenoids, but warm salt water tends to be more effective. Warm water may help to melt the fatty coating that protects viruses that cause the cold and flu.



What if you gargle for all you're worth but still end up developing a full-blown cold?





Get lots of rest, drink plenty of fluids, and take comfort in knowing that countless viruses are at work destroying your weakest cells. And don't forget to blow your nose as often as it runs; help your body get rid of what it wants to get rid of.




10 comments:

Florence said...

Lily,
Hope you are feeling better already!
Thank you for the detailed info.

Unknown said...

florence

thanks for your concern. Am feeling alot better.

Little Corner of Mine said...

Glad you are feeling better. And thanks for this great piece of info.

Anonymous said...

get well soon, lily! water, salt water is also good if you have a gum inflammation. after my dental work, i felt soreness, so the dentist told me to gargle with warm, salt water for relief. it works!

Unknown said...

valerie

i might be down but not out. the nose is running and i am chasing after it.

Thank goodness for salt.

Anonymous said...

Hi aunty lily good to know that you are much more better now. My mother always asked me to drink salt water when I was sicked. I will be in KL next 2 weeks to see my family can't wait to get there! Regards jiun

Lydia said...

Maybe I should start to listen to my mom more? She used to give me salt water when I was a kid, and I refused to take it all the time. :D

Unknown said...

jiun

you have a good time in malaysia.

say hi to your mom for me

sue said...

Hi, Lily, hope you are feeling better.. Yeah, it's flu season in Toronto too...your warm water and salt is also our family remedy for sore throat and it works wonders..I'm having a bad cough and I used Little Corner Of Mine's Chinese Ginger Tea and it soothes my chest and throat..thanks to all you wonderful ladies for sharing......

Mable said...

I should have read this article earlier. Thanks for sharing this Lily. I was down with a cold for a week and a half. I am feeling heaps better now, and know what to do when those bugs tickle my tonsils. Salt them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...