Foodie

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Shrimp Fritters






As i have mentioned so many times that my grand daughter, Renee, is such a picky eater but she ate this at a friend's house, which nearly made me fall off the chair. Although this is not very healthy as they are fried, she likes it and that's what counts.


Ingredients:
1/2 lb shrimp (size of your choice - here i used 61/70 peeled raw shrimp)
2 tsp salt
2 tsp tapioca starch
Seasoning:
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp white pepper(optional)
1/2 egg white
1/2 tsp sesame oil
All purpose flour for dusting
Batter
1/2 cup self-raising flour
1/4 cup corn flour
1 tbsp rice flour
Pinch of salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
180ml water or just enough
1½ tbsp oil
Oil for deep frying

Method:
Marinate the shrimp with 2 tsp salt and 2 tsp tapioca starch. Knead it in and leave aside for at least 1/2 hour.
Mix all the ingredients for the batter and leave aside until shrimps are ready
Wash away the salt and tapioca well and keep the shrimp under cold running water until water is clear. Drain and wipe the shrimp until really really dry.
Add in seasonings and dust with all purpose flour. Shake away access flour.
Heat oil until 350 f. Dip floured shrimp into batter and fry until golden brown. Do not crowd, fry shrimps in batches.
Remove from oil and let fried shrimps drain on a lined cake rack.
Serve warm with Sauces of your choice - Renee is with tomato ketchup.

13 comments:

Hungry Gal said...

a moment on the lips, a lifetime on the hips. looks delicious!

gill gill said...

Wow, you are so amazing! now i just reliase that you are at age 62 after i saw the word you "grand daughter"! :)

Unknown said...

hungry gal

you write so well, i love reading your blog

gill gill

you young ladies cook and bake so well, it puts me to shame.

Ana Powell said...

Lovely fritters.
Just delicious.

Whenever you`re free, just browse through my blog,I left a challenge for you. Click on the icon "Prizes" on the right hand side, nearly at the bottom of the Blog.

Anonymous said...

Hi Lily, can you make the salt steamed chicken in the same way, but instead of wrapping in newspaper, can you put in microwave rice pot filled with salt to cover?

Unknown said...

anonymous

sure you can. use the microwave rice pot or a big casserole with a tight lid.

gill gill said...

Hey Lily, "The older the wiser"!

Ethan Lim said...

Lily,

When I saw the word "Shrimp Fritters", I immediately thought of my childhood's most favorite snack. It was like a shallow fried flour saucer shaped with a shrimp in the middle, usually served with some runny chilli sauce. My school days were decades ago but, I can close my eyes and remember it. I forget what its called now.

Do you know of any recipes like that?

Lovin this site,
Chris

Unknown said...

chris

i know what you are thinking about. i love those fritters too. in fact, i did make them but was not very happy with the batter. will post it as soon as i find a batter that is crispy.

Ethan Lim said...

Yes, that's exactly right! The fritters are crispy, I've tried many batters but can't reproduce it since they're all soft spongy. Those canteen folk definately made a ton of change from me!
Thanks!

Unknown said...

clym

i would suggest you use more rice flour in the batter and make it runny.

jinkar said...

Dear Auntie Lily, I feel I should be calling you this as you would be about my mum's age and me being Chinese too, it feels rather disrespectful to call you otherwise.

Thank you for your shrimp fritter recipe. Just used it to make sweet and sour fish for my boys ( aged 6 and 3)today. I have been looking for a nice crispy batter as my previous sfforts were on the soft spongey side. I substituted soda water for water as I figured the fizz in it would give me a nice crispy batter like beer battered fish. Haven't served it to them yet but have had a taste and it apperas all right. Thank you again.

Unknown said...

jinkar

your mom taught you well and i am proud of you. With 2 kids to look after and still find time to cook for them.

my grand daughter, renee is also 6 and her brother, alexander is 3 plus.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...