Foodie

Friday, May 15, 2009

Daikon Kimchi











My son-in-law likes kimchi fresh, so i will only make small batches as often as needed. Making this kimchi is not difficult, only alot of prep, but it is worth while making it at home cos it is fresher and very much less expensive.



Ingredients:

1 1/2 - 2 cups peel daikon cut into chunks
1/2 tbsp salt
1 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp Korean chili powder
1 piece ginger - about 1/2 inch - grated
5 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tbsp fish sauce (nam pla)
1 tsp salted shrimp
1 tbsp soya sauce
½ cup chopped scallions
1 tbsp glutinious rice flour plus 1/4 cup water - mix well
3 tbsp chopped onions(optional)
3 tbsp chopped carrots(optional)
Method:

Toss daikon chunks in a bowl with salt, let sit for 1 to 2 hours. Wash and drain.
Cook glutinious rice flour mixture for 1 minute in the microwave until it is cooked.

Combine sugar, chili powder, ginger, garlic, fish sauce, shrimp and soy sauce and cooked glutinous rice flour, stir. If very thick, add a little warm water.
Stir in scallions, onions, carrots( if using) and drained daikon chunks.
Serve right away or cover and refrigerate; kimchi will keep for 1 to 2 weeks and become stronger over time.


Serves

10 comments:

Ube said...

I love cucumber pickled we buy at Korean market here. I would imagine they are cured like Kimchi. The cucumber are the Persian variety cucumber and very crunchy when pickled. I wonder if I can use your recipe and use cucumber in place of daikon? Thanks much.

Cindy Khor said...

u usually buy my kimchi and not make them. too lazy. but your version looks really good. maybe i'll try making it when i'm free. thanks for the recipe

Unknown said...

ube

sure cucumber is a good veg to make kimchi. Use the same sauce and the same way to salt the cucumber but cut the cucumber in quarters but do not cut through.

Anonymous said...

Hi Lily, how much of Daikon for your recipe? Thanks. I will make it when I return to Penang.

Unknown said...

anonymous

1 1/2 to 2 cups daikon cut into chunks or subes. which will fit into the Milo jar.

Mae said...

Hi Lily,

I just bought some really nice daikon today and I remember you had this recipe. I plan to make it except I'm confused because a lot of other recipes say to put it room temperature for 24 hours then refrigerate...others say leave it out for 4-5 days then refrigerate. I'm not sure what to do...any pointers? Thanks!

Unknown said...

Hi Lily,
What is the salted shrimp that you mentioned in this recipe? Thanks for sharing your yummy recipe. My hubby loves kimchi!!!

Unknown said...

ruth

the picture of the bottle of salted shrimp is hee http://lilyng2000.blogspot.com/2008/08/kimchi.html - it is next to the garlic press.

J.C. said...

Deara Lily, if I were to get a bottle of salted shrimp, I don't know how I would use the remaining salted shrimp as this is an ingredient that is foreign to me. So can I replace the salted shrimp with cincalok?

I am from Subang Jaya, Malaysia and I love to refer to your recipes when I plan my dinner menu for my family. Thanks for all the wonderful recipes and tips you share on this blog.

Unknown said...

j.c.

sure, cincalok is a good sub for the salted shrimps. i know that all kinds of seafood to make kimchi - like oysters. Try using dried shrimps or ikan bilis - pounded - they are there to give the kimchi flavor.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...