Foodie

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Chongqing lazi ji/Peppered Chicken






I would like to thank Iris Cheng who wrote to me asking for this recipe. I hope this recipe is what you are looking for. I can see that how you can miss that "ma la" and hot spicy flavor, they are additive. At the end of our dinner, the chicken cubes were gone and the red chillies/peppers were left behind. It was a waste to thrown them away so, i blended it with shallots, garlic, ginger and belacan to make into a sambal. My daughter, Sandra, knows me too well. When she saw the sambal, she knew.





Ingredients:

1 lb skinless chicken breast/legs/thighs cut into 1 inch cubes.
1/2 cup dried chillies - washed and cut into 1 - 2 inches, drain dry
2 tbsp ground Sichuan peppercorns
1 tsp soy sauce
2 tsp cooking wine
1 tbsp chopped ginger
4 cloves of garlic -- sliced
4 stalks spring onions -- cut into 2 inch lengths
1/2 tsp sugar

Vegetable oil for deep-frying and stir-frying

Marinade :

2 tsp shaoxing rice wine
1 tsp light soya sauce
1 tsp dark soya sauce
1 tsp ground sichuan peppercorns
1 t cornstarch
2 tbsp beaten egg white

Method:
Marinate cubed chicken with the marinade for at least 1/2 hour.
Heat 2 cups oil; when oil is hot, add the chicken cubes and deep-fry until crisping round the edges. Remove the chicken and leave aside.
Tip out the bulk of the oil, leaving about 2 tbsp. behind
Add the garlic, ginger and spring onion -- stir and then add the red chilies and Sichuan peppercorns. Fry for about 20 seconds, taking care not to burn the chilies.
Put the chicken back in the wok, splash on the cooking wine to the sides of hot wok and season with soy sauce, salt and sugar. Stir well to combine.
Dish out and serve hot with white rice
Serves

8 comments:

Mary Bergfeld said...

Lily, this is just beautiful to look at. How nice of you to do this for a reader.

Anonymous said...

Hi Lily,
Can you pls tell me where i can buy the Sichuan peppercorns from? Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Hi Lily,

Do you know how to make kuih ambon ? Nobody is selling this kuih in my hometown -Johor Malaysia.

Thanks

Avon

Cindy Khor said...

looks really good... and just like how you cooked it dry...

J.C. said...

This is a must-order dish for me whenever I go to a Sichuan restaurant. I have been looking for its recipe. Thanks, Lily. I have the ingredients and will try to cook it for tonite's dinner! If I see you, I shall give you a big hug!!! It's so difficult to find the recipe of this dish, La Zi Ji!!

70 Temple Street said...

I have been making this dish several times. This evening we had it again for dinner. It tasted so good!

Can I ask what kind of sambal do you cook from the leftover chilli that your grinded? Usually I throw away the dried chilli but I feel it's rather wasteful to throw them. I grinded them into a paste but not sure what I can cook with it as the Sichuan peppercorn smell is rather strong for it to be used in our usual sambal.

Unknown said...

that's us

the blended chillies are very good to spice up Mapo tofu and any other recipes which use tau pan cheong or other sichuan recipes

mlychn said...

Lily, I have been using so many of your recipes over the years. Thank you for sharing. My husband and I made this and it was SO delicious and authentic. He wants to eat it every single day!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...