Foodie

Monday, September 13, 2010

Kuih Lapis Rainbow

It is strange but it is true with our tastebud, there are so many kinds of food that i do not like when i was younger but love them now.  Kuih Lapis which is chewy is one of them,  I like this Traditonal Nyonya Kuih Lapis  which is rich and soft.  But!!!  now that i have tried making this recipe after too many requests for this chewy type, and surprising i liked it.  I think i know why i did not like this chewy type cos i have eaten too many badly made ones.  I found that this kuih will be good if a considerable amount of thick coconut milk was used in the recipe.  I shall not call this 'Nine Layers Koh' cos i have made it with 10 layers.  I wanted to have 3 colors, so i ended with 9 layers - 3 layers of every color and a topping layer thus making it 10 layers.


Ingredients:

A:
80 gm rice flour
80 gm all-purpose flour
180 gm tapioca starch
2 x 400ml cans coconut milk(SAVOY brand)
100 ml water
240 gm fine granulated sugar
1/8 tsp potassium carbonate & sodium bi-carbonate solution aka 'kan sui'
1/4 tsp salt

B:
Food colorings
Pandan paste
Vanillin

Method:

Mix all the ingredients A in a large bowl and then pass through a fine sieve onto to a large microwave-safe bowl.

Microwave the batter, one minute at a time, stirring after every minute.  I did 3 times(my microwave is only 900 watts).  The sugar should have dissolved and the batter thickens slightly.

Measure 3 portions weighing 435 gms. Leaving the rest of the batter as the topping or last layer.

Leave one portion white and divide into 3 bowls - each weighing 145 gms.

Color the next portion pink and divide into 3 bowls - each weighing 145 gms.

Color the last portion with pandan paste and divide into 3 bowls - each weighing 145 gms.

Color the topping layer with a darker red color.

Heat a 9 inch greased pan in the steamer for 5 - 10 minutes, then pour in one of the white color batter.

Steam for 5 minutes and if the layer is cooked through, pour in one of the pink color batter and steam for 5 minutes..

When pink layer is cooked through, pour in the green layer and steam.

Repeat with these layerings until all 9 layers are done.

Finally pour in the topping layer and steam until cooked through and further steam the whole kuih for another 10 minutes.

Remove from steamer and allow kuih to cool to room temperature before cutting.  Use a very sharp knife for cutting.  Although i like the plastic crinkle cutter, it does not do a very good job on this chewy cake.

Serves

29 comments:

Little Corner of Mine said...

Beautiful!

Miss B @ Everybody Eats Well in Flanders said...

Hi Aunty Lily

Ur kuah lapis looks very pretty! Thumbs up for ur recipe :)

cheers
missB

Bakericious said...

I am like you, used to dislike a lot of food when younger but seem to know how to appreciate more food when aging. Good for my stomach but bad for my waistline :P.

MeRy said...

So Yummy...I love to eat Kue Lapis..

Claire said...

Very pretty! Where do you add the Vanilla?

Reanaclaire said...

So neat.. feel like taking a piece! :)

reanaclaire.com

Joyti said...

I've never had those. They're so pretty and colorful and festive-looking. And it matches your plate so beautifully too.

MaryMoh said...

This is really rainbow...including the plate :D Am drooling :D

Unknown said...

claire

always add vanillin after cooking and before dividing into portions

Rambler said...

Where do you get this ingredient from ? potassium carbonate & sodium bi-carbonate solution

Unknown said...

rambler

all the asian stores here have this product

smspizza said...

Hiii, thank you so much. One of my friends suggested you to me. I really like it it is very usefull thanks guys.
Best regards
N. Tuhchain

Mary Bergfeld said...

These are just gorgeous, Lily. I can only imagine how good these must be. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

Smoky Wok (formerly Tastes of Home) said...

Lily, your kuih lapis looks so pretty! you know, I have yet to venture into making kuih, not sure if I have the talent haha

Jessie C said...

Mmmmm look so delicious!! thanks for the recipe!! :D

Personal Injury Lawyers said...

this is my favorite snack when i was babe miss it so much

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

I like this type of chewy kuih lapis, when I was a kid, I like to eat this kuih by peel layer by layer.

Quiet_Baker- said...

Just found your blog on the internet. OMG..everything is so yum!!! So glad to have found you.

IH said...

This is SO pretty. I was wondering if I could use dairy milk instead of coconut milk. The reason I'm asking is that my older son does not like anything with coconut :-(.

The Bakerwoman said...

Very pretty Aunty Lily....the lapis reminds me of Aussino colours...;) and nice shades of pastel!

Unknown said...

mummy, Ashley love to eat kuih lapis if only u can make for her.Maybe i will try to make it myself...:)

Unknown said...

sharon

i will be very happy if you can make some for her. Buy at least 2 pkts of squeezed coconut milk to make 900 ml.

cizgi film izle said...

looks very tasty.

Z said...

Helllo Lily,

I can never cut kuih cleanly & nicely. Like kuih kosui, serimuka/ putri sarlat/ kuih lapis.

I wait till they're really cool but it's still not that nice.

Any kuih cutting tips? =)

Thank you for these wonderful recipes that gives me more confident to make. Now I need more confident in cutting & serving them to others. Cheers!

Unknown said...

z

i agree with you that all kuihs have to be really cooled before cutting. i find that a sharp knife gives a good cut and wipe knife with a damp cloth after every cut. I like the jaggered plastic knife for this kuih lapis but it does not do a good job if the kuih is too 'umph' chewy

Anonymous said...

hi. why must we microwave the batter? would it work without microwaving it?

Unknown said...

anonymous

microwaving the batter is just to thicken it so that steaming will be faster and the flours are mixed in thoroughly. you can cook it over the stovetop. it will work if you do not cook the batter first, but your steamer has to be very efficient to cook the batter as soon as it poured into the pan.

ginsengli bobo said...

thank you for those cool mugs

Unknown said...

Hi
I, recently came across your blog.every item look perfect and appealing.can you pls. suggest a substitute for pottasium carbonate & sodium bicarbonate solution?I cannot get this from any orientel store .could i use both soda bi carb and baking powder?If so, how much?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...