Foodie

Friday, September 24, 2010

Chicken With Red Wine Residue
















I have always wondered why dishes cooked with Red Wine Residue are so craved for.  Now that i have cooked with it, i can understand the craving.  I cooked this chicken dish with the red wine residue from my homebrewing, added wood ear fungus for texture and it was so delicious.  The depth of flavor in the sauce was so robust and made this dish so acceptable that the plate was licked clean and i did not have to clean the plate.



Ingredients:

2 lbs chicken - cut into bite size
1 - 2 ozs wood ear fungus - soak, woody parts removed and cut into bite size
3 heaped tbsp red wine residue(refer to Homebrewing - Glutinous Rice Wine
2 shallots - chopped
2 cloves garlic - chopped
1 tbsp chopped ginger
1 tbsp soya sauce
1/2 cup chicken stock
2 tbsp oil
Pepper and salt to taste
Sesame oil
Coriander or Spring onions as garnishings





Method:

Sprinkle salt and pepper to the chicken pieces.

Heat wok and add in 1/2 tbsp oil, just enough to coat the wok.  Brown the chicken pieces by batches, do not crowd  the wok.  Remove and set aside.

Add in  the rest of the oil and saute the chopped shallots, garlic and ginger until fragrant.

Add in the red wine residue and continue to saute until aromatic.

Add in the browned chicken pieces, wood ear fungus and chicken stock.  Bring to the boil, add in the soya sauce and reduce heat to simmer.  Cover the wok and simmer until the chicken pieces are cooked through.

Remove wok cover and cook down the sauce.

Adjust taste with salt and pepper.

Sprinkle with sesame oil and garnish with coriander and/or spring onions.

Enjoy


 Serves

8 comments:

Mary Bergfeld said...

Lily this really sounds like an interesting dish. It has amazing color. I hope all is well. Blessings...Mary

Chef Chong said...

It reminds me of my mom's cooking, the homemade rice wine soup and leek pork with the residue. So good.. Good job, Lily.

PlumLeaf 李葉 said...

Reminds me so much of the dish my mum cooked for me whilst on confinement. She brewed her own rice wine too. She also told me to eat plenty of black wood fungus as it's good for bruising and cleanses the blood.
I have lots of rice wine sitting in a jar looking at me. :0(

Chris said...

Hi Lily,

I've been following your blog for a while now and I really enjoy your recipes and tips. I'm so excited to see your red wine brewing technique because I'm so craving "ang chow chicken", a signature Foochow dish. I'm part Foochow (on my mom's side) and I grew up eating quite a few ang chow dishes. If I can find the ingredients where I live, I'm definitely giving your rice wine homebrewing recipe a try just to get the residue. :-) Thanks again!

Chris

My Asian Kitchen said...

it's this red wine fermented that is "fok chow" favourite spices? They use to cook anything.. I saw it's sold in asian market now..

LimeCake said...

what an interesting dish! i've never tried this before! very good for Fall!

sayed said...

Have just given your blog the thumbs up Sarah.
Good luck!
www.hugeh.com

sayed said...

It goes without saying that you get my thumbs up Sarah…good luck to you!!
www.babycell.in

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...