Foodie

Friday, May 28, 2010

Round Crimped Loaf Bread

I don't know if this bread is still available in Malaysia as this bread was my favorite.  It was there way before sliced sandwich bread and the crimp gave guide to slicing into very thin slices,  Bread of yesteryears was from cottage industry and mostly made by Hainanese (yes, the same clan who introduced the famous - Chicken Rice and Kopi(coffee)).  The bread made was white bread , tall with a lovely rounded brown top.  These bread was fantastic for making 'roti kiap' but the only set back is that this bread can taste very sour sometimes - not very consistent with the oven, which was wood fired.  Ah!  'roti kiap'  - how i miss it!!  =  2 slices of soft white bread cut into about 1 inch thick, squished(not really squished) with a grill basket and put over the charcoal stove.  Gone are the days of charcoal grilling, the bread toaster has conquered the kitchen. Oops, off track, sorry, now back to the round crimped bread -  this style of bread must be a legacy of the British and i found in the net that the moulds for this bread could be from 1800's.

Ingredients:

1 egg plus water to make 1 cup
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp powdered milk
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp oil
2 cups bread flour
1 cup whole meal flour
1 1/2 tsp instant yeast

Method:

Put in egg and water into bread machine bowl, then follow by the other ingredients ending with the instant yeast on top.

Select the 'dough' function and press start.

When bread is ready, remove from bowl and shape into a log - length to fit the size of the bread mould.  Lock the mould and leave bread to proof.  It will take 1 - 2 hrs depending on the weather.  To check if the bread has packed the mould, give a tap on the top of mould and it should not sound hollow.

Bake in preheated 375 f oven for 45 mins.

Remove and let it rest for 10 minutes before opening the mould.

Cool bread before slicing.

enjoy


Serves

27 comments:

Mary Bergfeld said...

I'd really love to get one of those molds. The bread itself sounds lovely, but appearance is really important here. I hope you have a really great day, Lily. Blessings...Mary

Ube said...

Thanks for sharing your bread recipe. I have seen folks before used the small coffee cans to bake their bread and baked bread has ridges in them. With all the controversy they have regarding lead coming from canned goods I will not explore that avenue. I believe cans are meant to be disposed after the content has been used.

busygran said...

I remember this bread and I used to enjoy slicing it myself and getting it all nice and even. I don't see it around in S'pore any more. Would love to get the mould.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

I don't have this kind of mold, but love this simple bread.

Emily said...

Oh gosh! I do remember this bread from long ago.... have not seen one in recent times though. Will give you a shout if I ever catch a slice of it!

Tks for the memory!

Anonymous said...

This bread is called Milk Roll and is available in every UK supermarket.

Miss B @ Everybody Eats Well in Flanders said...

I remember when I was young, we used to toast this kinda white bread over a charcoal fire and then spread loads of kaya jam or just margarine and sugar on top...brings back lots of memories. But now in the kopitiam, they dun use charcoal fire anymore...

Unknown said...

That was my favourite bread. Yes, I enjoyed slicing them, yes and tried very hard to follow the ridges to get perfect even slices, but never did. Oh... and the thick pad of kaya plus margarine on every slice ...yum...thanks for the memories..
Anyone knows where to get the mould in Malaysia?
plee

Unknown said...

plee

i got this mould from bake with yen in puchong for rm18.00

Pete said...

Wow, Haven't seen this type of bread in ages!

MamaFaMi said...

Hello Lily...

The bread looks lovely. Oh, you got the mould from Yen is it? Must pay them a visit soon! Thanks for the information ya...

natasya said...

Lily,

As kids, I eat this bread with ice-cream. Sort of like ice-cream sandwich. Since warm days are here in USA, you may give this idea a try.

Anonymous said...

Hello Lily,

Is it possible for you to post a pic of the mould? I am thinking of asking my relatives in KL to get for me. I live in Singapore and hope the picture will help in the search. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Eil

Joy said...

That is an interesting shape of the bread. I wonder where I could find that mold. I don't think it is avilable in the US.

Unknown said...

joy

they are available online and they are very very expensive.

Rebecca Lee said...

Hi Lily, this round bread is no more selling in Penang.You're really smart to find your way to buy one. Really miss the old days' bread especially made by the Hainanese, the tall with round crispy top. Whenever my mom made Kaya, we would walk to the bakery to buy the freshly baked and still steaming hot bread home for supper with butter and delicious kaya that my mom did.

Keri said...

WOW.... this looks amazing.

Susan/Wild Yeast said...

Very interesting -- I have not seen one of these molds before. Thanks for joining YeastSPotting!

Anonymous said...

Aunt Lily,

That is a good one. I haven't seen this bread since I was a kid. Grandma used to buy milk loaf like this from the Punjabi Roti Man with a huge square box on the back of his bike and make us toast with planta and kaya for breakfast, toasted on charcoal fire no less. That does bring back a lot of memory.

Reese

Beanie said...

Hi , I have an award for you. Kindly view it here. http://melodiebeans.blogspot.com/
Thank you.

Unknown said...

beanie

thanks

MANISAH said...

Hi, your entry reminds me of the good ole days... I didn't get the chance to really savour this Hainanese bread but I got to buy similar shaped bread made by Sunshine. Remember Sunshine's bread wax wrapper? The smell and taste of their sandwich bread is unbeatable. As I lived in a small town in Pahang, getting to but Sunshine bread was a luxury as it was delivered like twice a week only (from KL).

Jun Sebastian said...

Wow! I love this bread! They used to sell it in Applebie's Bakery when I was young. Def. my fave bread! Sadly, nobody sells them here in Kuching, Malaysia anymore. I'd love to try to bake it one day. Can you please show me how the mould looks like? thanks!

Unknown said...

jun sebastian

here is a picture http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/17927/crimped-round-bread-tins but i am having only a single loaf.

Ken said...

Hi, may I know where to buy this mould? Could't find this in Singapore. :'(

Anonymous said...

Dear Lily,

This bread can still be found in a bakery along Jalan Pudu called Southern Bakery.
All their bread are homemade style ! Ive been going back there for a couple of weeks now.

lilyng said...

anonymous

thank you, it is good to know

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...