Foodie

Monday, May 24, 2010

Banana Cake

How lucky Malaysians are with so many types of bananas to choose from.  The unforgetable Rastali and Pisang Emas are a must to eat when you are in Malaysia.  Pisang Emas is more friendly than Rastali, which is best eaten when it is perfectly ripened.  Here in the States, bananas in the regular supermarkets are of the 'Sweet William/Cavendish' variety - one and only - no choice.  But, now and then, Baby Bananas which is Pisang Emas is being sold.  When i see them on the shelf, i will not hesitate to get a bunch, no matter how much it will cost.  The asian stores in Chinatown Denver, do sell Baby Bananas, but they don't seem to look good at all.  I have always wondered if there is a difference in the taste of the cake made with Cavendish bananas compared to a cake made with Baby Bananas/Piisang Emars.  Since i have several baby bananas which were over-riped, i decided to try out this recipe of  Florence from Do What I like, and thank you Florence, this recipe is a keeper and the pisang emas does make a difference to the taste of the cake.



Ingredients:

200g cake flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2  tsp baking soda)Friends from sea-level, use 3/4 tsp)
50g unsalted butter at room temperature
25ml corn oil
80g - 100g sugar(i use 80 g and it is just the right sweetness)
2 eggs lightly beaten
210g banana puree with 10ml lemon juice
60ml milk
A pinch of salt
A drop of banana essence
60g walnuts (optional)





Method:

Sieve flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

Cream butter, corn oil and sugar till smooth and creamy.

 Add in the lightly beaten eggs 1/4 at a time till well blended.

Add in the banana puree and the essence.

Add in the 1/3 of the sieved flour and half the milk.  Repeat and end with the last third of the sieved flour..

Stir in the walnuts if you are using.
Bake in a lined loaf pan or 2 small lined loaf pans at a preheated oven of 350f for 45 - 60 minutes


Serves

16 comments:

Joy said...

That looks good. Thanks for sharing.

Beachlover's Kitchen said...

I'm been looking for moist banana cake and now I found it!! I have abunch od overripe banana and tomorrow I'm going to use it! thanks for sharing!

Ube said...

One of my favorite breakfast treats! I have seen so many variations of this - some with frosting/icing and some plain with chocolate chips and candied lemon peel. Either way the banana flavor is right in there.

Mary Bergfeld said...

You have seriously excited my sweet tooth, Lily. Your bread looks wonderful. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

MaryMoh said...

Lovely to see more posts from you. Seeing this, I have to make again soon. I love banana cakes....smells good and tastes good.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

this remind me I have so long did not bake a banana cake, yours look wonderful!

Christine said...

Looks nice, thanks for sharing!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Love banana cake! Is that your new baking pan?

Unknown said...

these pans are from Daiso and they are very nice and cheap.

Anonymous said...

Your banana cake looks great. Reminds me I haven't bake one for long time.
I do agree with you how fortunate to get banana in malaysia. I live in a country where the banana is so expensive and limited. I couldn't waste it to bake banana cake.

Yee

Anh said...

Aunty, your bread looks wonderful. I love good banana bread :). Mine includes a bit of soy flour in the mix, and it makes the bread really really moist.

Unknown said...

ahh

thanks for dropping by.

i do sometimes add some soy flour to my bread. thanks for the tip.

keep warm down under

Anonymous said...

Hi Lily, I was browsing for banana cake here i found yours. The cake is on the way, but dunno how it will turn out though. lol. Thanks so much for the recipe. Will update how the cake turned out.

God bless!

Andria

xiaoxiao said...

Hi Auntie Lily, :)

I tried out this recipe and it turned out wonderful! Thank you so much. I will continue to be your close follower. :)

xiaoxiao

Anonymous said...

Hi Lily

My banana cake always turned out to be very soft, so soft that it breaks when we cut it. Need yr advice on what has gone wrong. Pls help. Thanks.

JJ

Unknown said...

jj

i don't know what your recipe is like, from your description, so soft that it breaks, could be not enough eggs or too much leavener.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...