Foodie

Thursday, December 28, 2006

Braised Belly Pork with Mui Choy

There are two types of 'mui choy'. One is preserved with salt and the other is darker in color which is termed 'teem' - sweet. The sweet type is more 'mui' which is soft in cantonese, the softer the better, it will melt in the mouth. This dish could be presented in a fancier manner but for homecooked meals this is good eats.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Ingredients:

600g belly pork
200g garlic (chopped)
4 tbsp light soya sauce
400g pickled vegetable (teem mui choy)
2 tbsp dark soya sauce
a dash of sesame oil
1/2 tsp sugar
5 tbsp cooking wine (wong chau/shao xing/hua tiau)
3 tbsp oil

Method:

Remove leaves of mui choy from stem, wash and steep in water to remove excessive salt. Cut into 1 inch lengths.

Cut belly pork into 1 inch cube and sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Using the pressure cooker, heat 3 tbsp oil and fry the pork until slightly brown, then add the garlic and mui choy. Stir fry until fragrant, add the light soya sauce and enough water to cover the pork and mui choy.

Close the lid and pressurized for 15 minutes(from hissing). Release pressure by putting the pot under cold running water.(to prevent cooking any further)

Return pot to heat and cook down the sauce.(sauce should not be too runny). Add in the dark soya sauce , sesame oil, cooking wine and adjust taste with sugar.

Serves

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lily,

I stumbled onto your blog when surfing for Curry puff recipes. Tried it after my initial recipe for the pastry failed miserably. It seperated once in the oil. Tried yours and it was perfect....spirals and all. Thanks.

Tried out this particular recipe yesterday. It's good but I forgot to wash the mui choy really well so had sand in my dish. Managed to salvage a bit so next time, I'll wash the mui choy really well.

Thanks again for the recipes.

Yap KL-UK(London)

Anonymous said...

Hi Lily,
Thanks so much for posting ur recipes. I'm a new housewife, just moved to US from singapore and don't know how to cook... so i've been trying lots of ur recipes!
I'd like to ask what the cooking time for the Pork Belly Mui Choy without a pressure cooker? in a normal pot?
thank you...
lin

Unknown said...

lin

you could check on the softness of the meat say about 45 mins later and you might have to put in more liquid for evaporation. if the meat is still tough, add in more water and cooker further until soft. time is only an estimate and the ultimate result is to have the belly pork soft.

linli said...

thank you very much lily, (on a personal note, my name is really close to urs, linli ng) haha.

Anonymous said...

hi. lily,

just want to ask do u know/have recipe for "kan sui koh" it goes well with braised pork (hokkien say as kee ah keh). if yes can kindly share???

TQ

Doris

Unknown said...

doris

i did find a recipe for kee ah keh and will make it as soon as i can get a bag of rice flour. there isn't any, not a bag on the shelf.

rhei said...

Hey Lily!
I've been searching around for so long and am glad I stumbled upon your Mui Choy recipe!
One question tho'... I'm quite a novice at cooking, so can you tell me where I should go to get mui choy and how to choose good ones?

Unknown said...

rhei

there is no good or bad mui choy. There are generally 2 types salty and sweet(supposed to be).

the salty one, the leaves are dried green with light brown stalks and salt is visible.

the sweet ones is dark brown leaves and brown stalks.

choose the pkts which look new as some can be very old and look really dead

Quinn said...

When do I add in the wine and sugar Lily? Thanks.

Unknown said...

quinn

you add in the cooking wine last and i have editted my post

thanks for letting me know

J.C. said...

Dear Lily,

Thanks for this recipe. Another Hakka delight! I am going to cook this for dinner tonite. Hope it turn out well.

Geraldine said...

Thanks for this recipe Lily, my mom taught me this dish 10 yrs ago but because I didn't like the not-so-leafy mui choy sold in chinatown, I didn't get to cook it for years and forgot how to make it. Skyped my mom but she was asleep and I remember you blogged about it once and luckily I found it here. Just ate it and my 10 y/o loves it too. It was her first time. Only thing I did was to fry dry the mui choy before cooking the dish. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Hi Lily

Can you let me know how long to soak the mui choy. Always find it too salty. What is a reasonable time?

Thanks

Unknown said...

anonymous

there is no time frame for soaking anything cos it depends on the amount and the condition of the dehydrated ingredients. In this case, the mui choy is ready when the vegetable looks plump and hydrated. I like to use the darker looking type of mui choy cos that is the sweet variety, the ones that look green is the salty variety.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...