Foodie

Saturday, January 21, 2006

Mee Bandung

Mee bandung is also a dish originated from Johor, specifically from Muar. The term 'bandung' is not derived from Bandung, Indonesia but as a term for anyting that is mixed from many ingredients. I used to go to Muar for work but i did not know that mee bandung originated from there until i read the history of Johor. Well, if i have the opportunity to visit Muar again, i will certainly know what i want for lunch.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Ingredients:

1.6 kg yellow noodles

250g chicken, cooked, shredded

200g prawns, cooked and peeled

4 pieces of fried fish cake - cut into thin slices

3 hard boiled eggs, cut into quarters

400g beansprouts, blanched

Mee Bandung Gravy

3 ltr water

100g shallots, peeled, sliced

60g garlic, peeled, sliced

80g ginger, crushed

90g Chinese celery, sliced

100g ripe tomatoes, sliced

40g Beef  Granules/bouillon

50g Prawn Cube

200g tomato ketchup

45g chilli boh(ground dried/fresh chilli)

50g sugar

1 egg white

Garnish

40g spring onions, sliced

40g Chinese celery, sliced

30g red chillies, sliced

50g shallots, sliced, fried

10 key lime (calamansi will be better)

100g peanuts, roasted, grounded



Method:

Mee Bandung Gravy

1. Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add in sliced shallots, garlic, local celery, tomatoes and crushed ginger. Reduce to low heat and simmer for 3-5 minutes.

2. Add in beef broth , prawn cube, tomato ketchup and chilli boh. Stir well and adjust seasoning with sugar to taste.

3. Simmer for 5 minutes and strain.

4. Put the pot holding the gravy back on the stove and gradually add in beaten egg white. Remove and keep warm.

To serve:

1. Blanch yellow noodles in a pot of boiling water for a few seconds.

2. Remove, strain and place it into serving bowls.

3. Add in sliced fish cake and blanched beansprouts.

4. Pour in hot Bandung gravy and garnish with shredded chicken, sliced spring onions, local celery, chillies, fried shallots and calamansi.

5. Sprinkle with grounded peanuts and serve hot.


Serves

10 comments:

Little Corner of Mine said...

Lily,
I want mee bandung for lunch!! :P

I have never heard of this dish before and I realized that I really don't know a lot of food in M'sia. Then again I came over here when I just turned 20, see my excuse...LOL!

Stephanie said...

Oh wow, you are right. I always thought Mee Bandung was an Indonesian dish. This looks yummy.

jadepearl said...

I love mee bandung!!!
Can never find any nice ones in Spore...so sad!!!
Salivate, salivate, salivate!!!
Gong Xi Fa Chai to you and your family!!!

FooDcrazEE said...

Been bz eh ? Happy New Year to u.

May u and ur family be shower with good health and wealth

Rabbit Sim said...

Gong Xi Fa Cai! I have been eating non-stop since I got home and no time to cook! You must have been busy cooking up a storm for Chinese New Year...

Anonymous said...

May i know what is chilli boh? Sorry. And Lily, thanks for the recipes. I have tried a few and they are very good.

Unknown said...

anonymous

'boh' in malay means ground so chilli boh is ground chilly.

Anonymous said...

Hi...being in Melbourne makes me miss my Mee Bandung. However, I can't get the prawn cubes here and my mom can't seem to find them back in KL either. Could you tell me what I could use to substitute it? Thanks!

Unknown said...

anonymous

for sub of prawn cube, you could use the shells from the prawns to make stock. the cube if available is only for convenience.

Anonymous said...

wow, didn't know that ... I'm from Muar.

Ah Ming

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...