Foodie

Monday, August 03, 2009

Cornish Pasties











Making the shortcrust pastry for these pasties bring back fond memories. This is the first pastry that i learned to make when i was in school and i have always treasured the moments of these cookery classes, where we learned the technics of making goodies to eat and the beginning of a long culinary journey for me. My girlfriend, Nancy, who is visiting me at the moment, has been through thick and thin with me in the Convent, inspired me to make these as a remembrance of our friendship which started in 1952, the first day we attended Stantard One in The Convent of the Holy Infant Jesus, Seremban. We were classmates until we left school in 1962. Nancy is only one of the classmates who are all very dear to me. Christina, Alice, Florie, Lee Lan, Sang Meng, Nyong Nga,Cheng Mei, Maqgie, Joan and many more, if you all happen to read this, i missed you all.
My filling for these pasties is the leftover from the Corned Beef, Onion and Potatoes.




Ingredients:

4 cups flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 ½ cups lard, chilled (3/4 lb) cut into ¼ inch cubes
8-10 tablespoons ice water
1 egg, beaten (for egg wash)

FILLING:

Method:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

To make pastry
Using the food processor, pulse together flour and salt, then add in the fat to make a coarse meal. Add 8 tablesppons ice water all at once. If dough crumbles, add more water. Refrigerate to rest one hour before rolling out.

Roll dough to a circle ¼ inch thick and cut into 6 inch rounds. Re-roll and scraps and cut into additional circles.

Put ¼ cup of the mixture into the center of a rolled out pastry.

Moisten pasty edges, fold in half, and crimp to seal. Place on a lined baking sheet and brush lightly with egg wash.
Make 2 slits in each pasty to allow steam to escape.

Bake at 400 degrees F 15 minutes, reduce heat and continue at 350 degrees F until golden.

Serve hot or cold.



Serves

14 comments:

Cooking Gallery said...

Such a nice story... I've never tried making pastries before. Maybe I should give it a try one day!

Christelle said...

What a brilliant idea for a post! :) Great food to make oneself, the ones we buy are never as good...

Anonymous said...

convent rocks!

Edith said...

Lily, check this out. http://preciousmoments66.blogspot.com/2009/08/zip-zap-and-it-is-coming-to-end.html

Food! Food! Food! said...

Hi Lily. I am a big fan of your blog. I too just started a blog. I would appreciate it if you would like to visit. Thanks.

Mary Bergfeld said...

Lily, my family loves pasties. Yours look absolutely delicious.

PEBBLES - the Lord's beloved said...

Hi Aunty Lily,

Thank you for sharing this recipe.

Is there an alternative way to make the pastry if I do not have a food processor?

Pauline said...

Hi Lily,
I love reading your blog and it is like my Bible, visit it everyday. Aunty Nancy's eldest daughter is my good friend. I love to cook and I am from Temiang. Say hello to her and see her soon.
Keep up your good work.
Pauline

SL said...

Hi Lily,

Is this the school where there was a Imbi bakery shop across the road? Although not sure if the cake shop was already open at that time, nor the old name for the street.

sorry, just a long time lurker, and used to live in sban, though long (say a couple of decades!) after you left :)

Unknown said...

pebbles

no food processor, no problem, just cut the butter into small pieces with a pastry cutter or 2 butter knives , then add in the iced water, enough to make it into a dough.

Unknown said...

pauline

auntie nancy says hi to you too. She will be here until august 14th.

Unknown said...

sl

i don't know about the bakery but a dear friend who is visiting me at the moment and she is still residing in seremban, says that there is a bakery there. The street name where convent used to be is Birch Road.

Big Boys Oven said...

awesome pasties.... i had a few when I was in scotland! :)

JM said...

Hi Lily, I love pasties. Will try this out but if i dont have any lard, can i use butter instead?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...