Foodie

Monday, February 09, 2009

Chicken In Pandan Leaves

In Malaysia, almost every kitchen garden which is the backyard, the ground by the road which is across the house or where ever there is soil, boasts a pandanus plant. The leaves of which are used in both savoury and sweet dishes. The flavor of Pandan is wholly unique and the taste is almost indescribable.The leaves impart a perfume flavor to the foods they contact and it does give this chicken dish it's signature.



BEFORE FRYING
















AFTER FRYING












Ingredients:

1 lb diced chicken meat (i prefer chicken thighs)
Oil for deep-frying
40-50 pcs big pandan leaves, washed and wiped dried

Seasoning:60 g shallots, chopped
30 g garlic, chopped
1 tablespoon lemongrass (white part only), grated

1 tablespoon galanga, grated(the original recipe calls for coriander roots)
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons fish gravy
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon tumeric powder
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon black soy sauce

Method:
Marinate diced chicken meat with seasoning for 2-3 hours.


Wrap up chicken meat neatly with pandan leaves (refer below)
Heat up the oil for deep-frying, deep-fry the chicken till golden brown.
Dish and drain.


Serve hot and enjoy the aroma and flavor.

Note: Pandan chicken can also be wrapped and keep in the fridge. Deep-fry in hot oil before serving. It can also be baked for a more healthy way of cooking.



How to wrap:

























19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lili-love your blog, i have a question -can you find pandan plant here in the US? I am from Malaysia but live in Wisconsin - I hv been keeping my eyes opened for pandan plants...any pointer will be much appreciated!

Anonymous said...

Hi Lily

I tried to grow Pandan leaves in my garden too but it won't take..guess the weather in France not suitable at all. So sad....I won't get to try this dish then. The joys and struggles of being abroad!

Regards, Nina

pigpigscorner said...

Love this dish! The aroma from pandan leaves is awesome!

cakewardrobe said...

Hi Lily,

I really enjoyed going through some of my favorite eats on your blog! Your blog is definitely a must save!

Netts Nook said...

Thanks for sharing I had a dish similar to this in Fiji a few years ago can't wait to try if I can find the leaves.

Anonymous said...

I really like this dish.... but I didn't know how to wrap the chicken chunk properly. Thank you for showing the step by step pictures.

Anonymous said...

It brings back lots of memories...my grandma used to make this dish for us when we were kids. :-) We enjoyed them very much.

Julia said...

That looks great! I assume you don't eat the pandan leaf, it's just for flavor? To me, the scent is sort of like jasmine rice.. When added to a pot of plain rice, I would swear I were eating jasmine rice.

Unknown said...

julia

the pandan leaves are there for their fragrance. Discard and eat only the chicken

Unknown said...

may

i think pandan leaves can grow in california.

Get the frozen ones from the asian stores, they are very cheap, less than a dollar for a pkt.

Unknown said...

nina

I am sure there are vietnamese stores in france and they will definitely have the frozen ones.

I too have to depend on frozen goods cos gardening in colorado is very challenging and waste of effort.

Kristy said...

Mmmm..looking good. Is that your pandan plant? Mine to tell me where you got it? I want to plant my own pandan leaves too...lol. Frozen one are not as great. :)

Unknown said...

kristy

how i wish that plant is in my garden.

i agree that the frozen ones are no where near the fresh leaves but ??????

Anonymous said...

May, I happen to come across the pandan plant ebay listing from Thailand. They shipped to USA with permit.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350165882608

tazyspin said...

Hi Lily,

How long shld I bake the chicken if I opt for baking option? And what's the temp I shld use??

Cheers!

Jackie

Unknown said...

jackie

i have not baked these before but i should say that it will take about 15 mins, open one to check for doneness.

Anonymous said...

Lily, Tried your pandan chicken, I baked instead of fry. Fry pandan chicken is definitely taste better than baked.
By chance do you have any baked lemongrass chicken recipe. Thanks

Unknown said...

anonymous

if i get hold of any lemongrass chicken recipe, i will definitely share it

Floppy Ears said...

Im gonna try this for my next. just got my pressure cooker today, im gonna try the pork belly with mama recipe today ^^ thanks for all the awesome recipes.. love them all ^^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...