Foodie

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Futomaki - Thick Sushi Roll

Futomaki are thick sushi rolls which includes various fillings. They are also known as fat rolls. My friend Sam who is a Sushi Chef told me that it is easy to make Sushi.  All i needed was some goodwill and a good guide, meaning that he will show me how.  Looking at his nimble fingers working with the rice, trying not to blink in case i missed some valuable tips, but i must have blinked, cos the roll was ready right before me,  like magic, my mouth was opened wide with astonishment.   I insisted that he would have to roll on slow motion and this time, he went extra slow, so i had more ideas of how a good sushi roll was done.  Then it was my turn,  i was so excited that i forgot all the tips and made a huge mess.  Our hungry friends could not wait for lunch, so Sam had to continue making lunch for us and i promised him that i will go home and try to remember his teaching and not make a mess.  You think that i will remember?  I did keep my promise , i made some and a mess too.


Sushi Rice:
Ingredients: 

2 cups sushi or short grain rice
2 cups water, plus extra for rinsing rice
2 tbsp rice vinegar
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp kosher salt or 2 tsp regular table salt

Method:

Place the rice into a mixing bowl and cover with cool water. Swirl the rice in the water, pour off and repeat 2 to 3 times or until the water is clear.  Pour enough water to cover rice and let it soak for 30 minutes.

Place the rice and 2 cups of water into the rice cooker and cook rice until done.

Combine the rice vinegar, sugar and salt in a small bowl and heat in the microwave on high for 30 to 45 seconds.

Transfer the rice into a large wooden or glass mixing bowl and add the vinegar mixture. Fold thoroughly to combine and coat each grain of rice with the mixture. Allow to cool to room temperature before using to make sushi

California Roll

Ingredients:

Juice of 1/2 lemon
1 medium avocado, peeled, pitted, and sliced into 1/4-inch thick pieces
4 sheets nori
1/2 batch sushi rice, recipe as above
1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded, and cut into matchstick-size pieces
4 crabsticks, torn into pieces





Pickled ginger, for serving
Wasabi, for serving
Soy sauce, for serving










Method:

Squeeze the lemon juice over the avocado to prevent browning.

Cover a bamboo rolling mat with plastic wrap.

Lay 1 sheet of nori, shiny side down, on the plastic covered mat.

Wet your fingers with water and spread about 1 cup of the rice evenly onto the nori.

Place 1/8 of the cucumber, avocado and crab sticks in the center of the sheet.

Grab the edge of the mat closest to you, keeping the fillings in place with your fingers, and roll it into a tight cylinder, using the mat to shape the cylinder. Pull away the mat and set aside. Cover with a damp cloth.

Repeat until all of the rice has been used. Cut each roll into 6 pieces.

Serve with pickled ginger, wasabi and soy sauce.



9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can just imagine Sam rolling up the sushi really fast. Wow, you're so lucky to be able to learn from someone professional. :) I think your sushi looks professional too, very neat. The leaf wasabi is very cute. It is wasabi right?

Unknown said...

That looks great. I have been meaning to start making sushi.

Bakericious said...

I love sushi and your sushi looks beautiful rolled

Beachlover's Kitchen said...

good for you to have pro sushi chef teach you the special skill..I used to work in Japanese restaurant,all I do is watching how the chef wrap and make sushi..that how I learn it..btw,your kungfu of wrapping and rolling don't look bad at all.wow!!you decorate your prop wt plastic leaf!! syabas!

J e l e n a said...

I've never tried sushi and I don;t have the ingredients here but there are a couple of sushi restaurants. This came out really good. Beautiful pictures.

Cooking Gallery said...

I absolutely ADORE sushi, especially the maki types. Your sushi look really good!

arkonite_babe said...

Neat job! I wish I'd had someone to teach me how to make sushi, everything I know, I learned by myself from books and the internet!

kitchen flavours said...

I think you sushi looks great!

A humble and handsomeTaiping boy. said...

Nice sushi. Must try the Miracle Kangen water also. Special invitation only.
rgds

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...