So often this has found its way into my kitchen as this was amazingly easy, delicious and so hearty.
3 big eating apples, peeled, cored and chopped
½ cup orange juice
zest from 1/2 orange
1/4 cup brown sugar
freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 cup raisins
1 tsp cornstarch plus 1/4 cup water
1 tbsp butter
6-8 sheets ready-made filo pastry
2 oz butter, melted and cooled, plus extra for greasing
2 tbsp dried breadcrumbs
1. Preheat the oven to 375F.
2. Cook apples, orange juice, orange zest, brown sugar, raisins, cinnamon and nutmeg with the pan covered until apples are soft and raisins are plump.
3. Add in the cornstarch slurry and cook further for 1 minute, turn off heat and add in 1 tbsp butter. Set aside to cool.
4. .Brush each sheet of filo pastry with melted butter, then place the sheets of pastry on top of each other onto a large sheet of greaseproof paper.
5. Sprinkle the top sheet of filo with some dried breadcrumbs, then spoon the apple mixture down the middle of the filo sheet.
6. Carefully roll the pastry up around the filling like a cigar, using the greaseproof paper to help.
7. Place the filo roll onto a greased baking tray, brush with any remaining melted butter. Cut roll into 1 1/2 slices at a diagonal. Do not cut the slices right through.
8. Put to bake for 30-40 minutes, until lightly browned and the filling is hot.