Foodie

Friday, May 16, 2008

Singapore Noodles





This is my version of Singapore Noodle which i think it was how Malaysians cook it - WITHOUT curry powder. I find the curry powder too overpowering and i like my version which is slightly sweeter and spicy.


Ingredients:

300g mei fun, soaked and well drained
6 tbsp oil
3 eggs
1/2 tsp chopped garlic
1 large onion, shredded
75g chicken meat, shredded
75g prawns, shelled
75 g char siew shredded
1 carrot, shredded
200 g beansprouts, tailed
1/2 red pepper shredded
Seasoning
1 tbsp light soya sauce
1 tbsp oyster sauce
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp chilly sauce
2 tbsp tomato sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
Salt and sugar to taste
Dash of pepper
Garnishing
Chopped spring onion and coriander leaves
Sliced red chillies Optional
Method:

Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a wok and fry meehoon for 1–2 minutes until lightly golden.
Heat another 2 tbsp oil and fry garlic until fragrant. Add chicken, prawns, char siew , carrot and onions. Stir-fry briefly.
Add mei fun and seasoning ingredients. Toss well to combine.
Push to the sides and add 2 tbsp oil in the centre of wok, add the eggs , push back the mei fun to the eggs and fry until eggs are done.
Add beansprouts to mix and continue to cook until beansprouts are heated through but still firm.
Dish out and serve with garnishings.

Serves

14 comments:

FooDcrazEE said...

the beansprout looks terrible compared to the Malaysian species. . . . . . sorry but thats how it looks in the pic

so, how r ya ??

Unknown said...

foodcrazee

you think this looked terrible and poor me had to do prison duty removing the head and tails, you have not seen worse.

you don't know how lucky you are to be in malaysia

I am good and hope you and your family are good too

Laksaware said...

I am so glad you posted this Lily!
The husband ordered Singapore Mei Fun on Friday and insisted it was the real thing. I kept telling him No because it should NOT have CURRY in it.

Case won after reading your recipe! :)

古墓街第7号當鋪 said...

I prefer Singapore Noodles with
curry powder.To me, there's a big different if Singapore noodles hv no curry powder.Lolx. UK's version of Singapore Noodles is completely different if compare to Malaysia one. Especially the taste.

Anonymous said...

I have been visiting yr blogs for recipes. Keep up the great work. I just came to Dallas 3 mths ago... and luckily I could still get all ingredients that I need :)

Beau Lotus 涟 said...

Everywhere I go I keep seeing Singapore Noodles in Chinese restaurants, but how come I'm from Singapore and didn't know we had noodles like that???

Whatever it is, I agree with you, NO curry powder. Our fried bee hoon doesn't ever have curry powder whatever you may call it.

Shirley said...

im from singapore and it tickles me everytime i see Singapore noodles in menus. lol. anyway, i think this dish is our "Xing Chou Mi Fen" ... they dont cook it with curry powder here in singapore.

Anonymous said...

In Singapore, thin rice noodles are called beehoon (a Malay word). You can't get this dish in Singapore, however. A few famous noodle dishes in Singapore are char kway teow, hokkien mee, and mee rebus.

Anonymous said...

I've seen a Chinese takeaway in England called it 'Nasi goreng rice noodle' lol

Happy Belly said...

Can I check with you what sort of chilli sauce do you use for this freid bee hoon? Is it the thai sweet chilli? If it's not can you recommend a good chilli sauce that is versatile to cook most Asian dishes? Thanks

Unknown said...

happy belly

since you are in singapore, i would suggest Linghams or maggi, they are not so spicy and sweeter. If you prefer spicy, use siracha and adjust the taste with a tinge of sugar

gong xi fa cai

Anonymous said...

Hi Lily,

I know you recommend the Lingam's Chilli Sauce, but i am in The States too :(, so i am wondering what kind of chilli sauce would you recommend for me.

Thanks!

Unknown said...

anonymous

when i cook, i usually do not depend on brand. I would use whatever spicy and adjust the taste with sugar and vinegar.

Anonymous said...

Hi Lily,
I am from Malaysia and staying in small town in Japan now. I missed Malaysia food so much, tried your recipe last week, love it very much. I love it without chili powder. Thank you for sharing,

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...