Foodie

Sunday, June 03, 2007

Hum Cheem Paeng II

I thought i had found the keeper recipe in the first posting hum cheem paeng as the taste of saltiness and sweetness were present but the texture is not there - it was more close and the preference would be - to be more spiderweb like. So, had to put on my thinking cap and blamed it on the starter and longer proofing and resting for the dough. This dough is also very sticky and should be kneaded the same way as yau char kway. I have editted the ingredients by deleting the salt, the reason is at bottom of page. i must apologise to the earlier readers who might have copied the recipes. With the salt, the dough might need longer time to proof.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Ingredients:

(A)
360 g bread flour
130 g sugar
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp alkaline water/potassium carbonate & sodium bi-carbonate solution(see ban jian kuih for picture)
250 ml water
1/2 tsp instant yeast


(B)
Starter:
90 g all purpose flour
90 ml water 2 tsp vinegar

(C)
Filling:

1/2 tsp 5 spice powder
1/2 tsp Lam yue(red bean curd)
1/2 tsp oil
1/4 tsp salt

Method:

Mix all the ingredients for the starter. Leave covered for 2 days.

Mix all the ingredients in (A) with the starter which has been proved for 2 days. Use a wooden spoon or spatula to mix as the dough is very sticky.

Leave the dough covered with plastic wrap and let rest of 20 minutes.

After 20 minutes, bring the dough from the sides into the center and continue to do this until the dough is smooth. Rest 20 minutes again.

Repeat the folding and resting for another 3 more times.

Rub some oil on the surface of dough, cover well with plastic wrap and leave to proof for 2 - 3 hours.

Spread alot of bench flour before pouring dough on to board. Roll dough into a rectangle. Spread filling on and roll up like a swiss roll.

Cut dough into pieces and roll cut side dough into a very thin round(i find that the thinner the better the puffing).

Heat oil until 325 f and deep fry the dough. When dough floats to the top, use the chopsticks to turn dough as frequently as possible. Turning the dough allows even puffness. Fry until dough is golden brown. Sprinkle with salt while still hot (optional - if you like a saltier taste) cos certain brands of lam yue is not as salty.

Note:

The is no salt added to the dough that is why the yeast can go wild and happy)




Serves

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello...not sure whether u still remember me but wanted to congratulate you. Saw a post in The Star yesterday making reference to your blog and your recipe for Rotiboy - great work!! :)
Hope you are aware about it ^_k

Unknown said...

_k

thanks for the info, the reporter emailed me and i got to read it online.

thanks

East Meets West Kitchen said...

Wow! You are a star, Lily! Must post your newspaper article on your blog and share with us leh!
Btw, I made the starter on Friday, and can't wait to make this recipe today. :)

Unknown said...

east meets west

it so happened that the reporter must have liked rotiboy.

the malaysian reader must be wonder where in the world is denver colorado.

Little Corner of Mine said...

Congrats Lily! I want to read that article too leh!

V, so hardworking huh? I want to eat this but too lazy to make, you two can make for me when I go visit okay? Hehehe... *blush*

Lee Ping said...

Dear Auntie Lily,

Congratulations on appearing in STAR!

p/s Are you receiving notifications on comments posted in your old article now?

Anonymous said...

When I saw your hum cheem paeng, I was literally drooling over it. I haven't had one for ages. It sure looks yummy. I'm so homesick for home food.

Unknown said...

lee ping

i started a gmail account and the new comments are coming in fine.

i would have to thank wm w and you for helping me.

A Mature Student said...

Hi Lily
Congratulations on your article appearing in the Star.

May I please ask if it will be ok to omit alkaline or is there something to substitute this ingredient?

Thanks.

Unknown said...

dr ve thru

perhaps you could increase the amount of bicarbonate of soda to 1 1/2 tsp.

A Mature Student said...

Thanks Lily for your quick response. I hope to try this sometime.

Judy

Anonymous said...

Hi, What is alkaline water?

Unknown said...

anonymous

alkaline water is called 'kan sui' in cantonese and i have a picture of the brand i use here http://lilyng2000.blogspot.com/2007/05/ban-jian-kuih.html

Anonymous said...

Hi Lily,
What can I use to substitute alum, alkaline water and ammonium bicarbonate with as I would love to try and do the you tiao n hum cheang peng...I am living in this ulu place in Calif and the nearest asian place is over an hour away and I cant wait to try your recipes which I stumbled on yesterday.
Also at what point do you put in the red bean paste for the hum cheang peng?
Your recipes have given me so much "hope" as I feel so isolated here and miss the local food fare/makan so much...thanks for sharing the recipes.

Unknown said...

foodie

i can understand how you feel. we too have to travel quite far to get to the nearest asian store.

i don't know if you could get the right texture or taste if baking powder or baking soda or yeast are used.

i hope other reader in this thread can help

the red bean is wrapped in before frying

Anonymous said...

Dear Lily,

Just wondering if you have the recipe for yao cha guai?

Thanks.

Unknown said...

anonymous

in fact i have 2 yao cha guai - here is one which i made quite often http://lilyng2000.blogspot.com/2007/05/yau-char-kway-ii.html

Anonymous said...

hi im in d process of making your hum chim peng. can't wait. thanks for your awesome recipe and website!

i haf a few ques. the dough is very sticky after mixing the starter and eveything else. i half already rested for 20min x3 times.

and i can't really use my hand to fold. it sticks all over, so i use a wooden spoon. isit suppose to be like that?

i'm afraid i would find it hard to roll it out later.

or does the texture get better after proofing?

thanks.

Anonymous said...

hi i left my dough to proof over night in a warm room. it smells sour. should it be okay?

Chef Chong said...

Hi Lily. My mom sure loves this. She has been searching for this recipes for ages. I definitely will make a whole basket of Ham Cheam Peng for her when she is coming to American Canyon, Napa County for a visit.

Beachlover said...

congratulation as THE STAR !! I'm looking forward the newpaper posting too I always admire your creavity and skill to cook or bake food that we always lack of the full ingredients in US..you can always think or find other method to sub instead of using the conventional way to make it..love your fried ikan bilis in microwave method and it's really useful for me during winter season when we close all the doors and windows...would love to try your HCP recipe soon.I once used Agnes Chang recipe which don't have starter dough..it's the starter make the dough texture softer and moist?

Unknown said...

beachlover,

the star posting was quite a while ago.

Starters always make the final result so much softer.

ICook4Fun said...

Dear Lily, I made this twice and the 1st time I do everything according to your recipe. It turn out great. The second time I omit the alkaline and ferment the starter only for one day and the HCP turn out just as good accept it didn't hava the usual alkaline taste to it. To me it is still perfect. Thanks for sharing your great recipes with us.

Jessmin said...

Hi Lily,

I hope you can answer my question about the starter for this recipe... I'm really desperate! I've made a lot of recipes from your website and they've always turned out great but this recipe is much harder than what I normally do!

1) Should I refrigerate the starter? I left it covered with a paper towel on my counter for 2 days and there's a hard crusty covering on top of it now... I'm not sure I can use it anymore. Can you tell me what the starter is supposed to look like after sitting out for 2 days? And should I refrigerate it? Currently, mine is a very wet and sticky dough with a very hard and crusty layer on top! I don't know if I should just continue with the recipe... please let me know soon! Thanks!!

Unknown said...

jessmin

the starter should be in room temp. but covered with a lid or plastic wrap otherwise the top will form a crust. The starter can still be used but remove the crust but when you proof the sticky dough, same action applies, covered with wrap or a damp, damp cloth. if a crust has formed, the dough will not be good.

Anonymous said...

Dear lily, i am making HSP now, can i use a hand mixer to do the mixing for every 20 minutes resting instead of using the wooden spoon. pls respond oh...dear...oh my..

Unknown said...

anonymous

there is no need to mix with a hand mixer, it is harder to wash it. the wooden spoon or spatula will do and easier to clean

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...